Meatloaf Burgers



I LOVE my mama's meatloaf. It's one of our family's favorite meals, heck, it's even one Daniel & I regularly request as our special birthday dinners. I think I like it because of its simplicity- there's nothing weird in there that doesn't belong. Just beef, onions, a little egg and bread for binder, tomato juice to give it some flavor, and that's enough. No peppers. No bacon. Most definitely no brown sugar/mustard crust. All it needs is a drizzle of ketchup on top and it is heavenly (and even better the next day, if there happen to be any leftovers after we get done chowing down).



Since I'm Whole90ing, I had to modify the recipe a little, but I was so happy to find that the paleo version was almost as good as the real thing! And because I have zero patience I decided to form the meat into patties and fry them up as burgers instead of waiting for the whole thing to cook up in loaf form. Time is precious these days so I have to make the most of every second I get in the kitchen!

Meatloaf Burgers

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
1 egg
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup almond meal/flour (they have this at the Tompkinsville Walmart!)
1/2 cup tomato juice
1 tbsp tomato paste, plus more for topping the finished burgers
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Directions:
This is gonna get really complicated, so be sure you're paying attention: Add all ingredients to bowl. Mix to combine. Form into desired size patty. Place in hot grill pan and cook until your preferred doneness.

Shew, that was a tough one. Did I lose you?

You can top with ketchup if you want, but I'm not doing sugar and it's impossible to find "clean" ketchup here. It exists, I can order it on Amazon, but I'm not really into a $10 bottle of thinned out tomato paste (basically). I could also make it myself, but I don't eat enough ketchup to justify that, so I'll pass. Instead I just drizzled a little tomato paste on my burgers and it was PERFECTION.

Also, these make awesome leftovers! I've been eating on them for a couple of days now and they just keep getting better.




Comments

Popular Posts